- Fraxel Laser treatments are great for age spots, sun spots, actinic keratoses (solar keratoses) freckles and other pigment concerns including hormonal pigmentation (melasma, chloasma), skin rejuvenation, resistant freckles, acne scarring, surgical scars, and chicken pox scars.
- Areas commonly treated with Fraxel Laser include the face, neck, chest (décolletage), hands and forearms. It can also be used for small areas like cheeks, nose, forehead and temples.
- Downtime can vary from 0 – 5 days, depending on the type of treatment.
- The duration of results varies because scar and wrinkle reduction is permanent, whereas pigmentation (particularly hormonal) can unfortunately return. The extent and duration of results will vary from person to person.
- Fraxel laser is also known as Fractional Laser, Fraxel Dual Laser, Fraxel 1927 Laser and Fraxel 1550 Laser.
What is Fraxel Laser?
Fraxel Laser is an innovative approach to treating pigmentation, lines and wrinkles, acne scarring and other scarring. There are three types of modern Fraxel Lasers and many more Fraxel imitators. We use the Fraxel DUAL 1550/1927 Laser in our Perth clinic, as it rejuvenates skin, has an unparalleled safety reputation and is known for rapid recovery times.
What can Fraxel Laser treat?
- Pigmentation – minimizing the appearance of sunspots and freckles as well as hormonal pigmentation
- Surface scarring – erasing the effects of acne and other scarring
- Sun damage – helping heal skin damage, including Actinic Keratoses (AK’s) – a common pre-cancerous skin conditions
- Fine surface lines – intense collagen stimulation means skin looks fresher and plumper
What is a Fraxel Laser treatment like?
A thin layer of anaesthetic gel is applied to the skin and left for about an hour. During this time, you can relax in our Perth clinic with a coffee and free WiFi in our private lounge. Before your treatment, the Doctor will remove the gel, clean the skin and apply eye protection. The laser is then passed over the skin surface. Fraxel Laser treatment takes 20 – 45 minutes depending on the size of the area to be treated. Most people find this treatment very tolerable, with most people saying the Fraxel 1927 hurts less than IPL.
What can I expect after a Fraxel Laser treatment?
1927 Laser (for pigmentation and rejuvenation)
Immediately after the Fraxel you will experience a mild sunburn sensation for about an hour and then minimal discomfort. The skin will have a pinkish tone for 3 to 5 days. This is a normal sign that the skin is healing. Swelling is usually minimal and generally resolves in 1 to 2 days. Any pigmentation present in the skin will gently darken and the skin will become quite dry before shedding on around Day 3 or 4. After this time your skin will look fresh and smooth, although some pinkness can persist for up to 6 weeks.
Sun avoidance and the use of sun protection is important, both during the healing phase and for several months after treatment. Makeup can be worn through the entire recovery. We use and recommend Jane Iredale mineral makeup, as it is safe to apply after laser treatment and contains a physical SPF 20, and nothing covers redness like it. We recommend La-Roche Posay Cicaplast B5 Baume as a moisturiser and healing barrier post-Fraxel.
Over the following weeks to months, the collagen stimulation continues. The result: smoother, fresher and younger looking skin.
The week after a 1927 Fraxel Laser Treatment
1550 Laser (for lines and wrinkles or scarring)
Immediately after the Fraxel 1550 your skin will feel quite warm, like moderate sunburn, for 1 – 2 hours. Your skin will be quite pink, and this will persist for 3 – 4 days. Swelling is common after this treatment, particularly around the eye area. Using a couple of pillows when you sleep can help to reduce this. After 4 – 5 days your skin will shed, resulting in flaking similar to that of minor sunburn. The use of a moisturiser can help to mask this.
Sun avoidance and the use of sun protection is important, both during the healing phase and for several months after treatment. Makeup can be worn through the entire recovery. We use and recommend Jane Iredale mineral makeup, which has unparalleled coverage, is safe to apply after laser treatment and contains a physical SPF 20.
Over the following weeks and months, the body repairs the deeper dermal tissues producing long lasting improvements and a healthy, youthful appearance. Between 1 and 5 treatments may be required, depending on the skin concern being treated and the individual response. If additional treatments are required, these are usually done 6 weeks apart.
Are there any side effects from Fraxel Laser Treatment?
Fraxel Laser is very safe, and has been successfully used for all skin types including darker skins. Some side effects can occur, however these are rare, and include temporary blistering or an increase in pigmentation. Our Doctor will fully explain the treatment and any potential side effects with you during your consultation.
Read more about Fraxel Laser on the Fraxel Laser website.