At Skin Resus we have a Zero Tolerance approach to acne and we get fantastic results. Our effective acne treatment combines either prescription or over-the-counter skin care with LED light therapy. With this combined approach, most people see an improvement within 2 weeks and we aim to see clear skin within 4-6 weeks.
What is the Skin Resus Acne Treatment?
What causes acne?
- Excessive sebum (oil) production;
- Skin cells that shed become abnormally sticky and clog up the hair follicles;
- Increased number of the P. acnes skin bacterium; and
- Skin inflammation.
Effective acne treatment
Acne falls into the “mild” category if you have fewer than 20 whiteheads or blackheads, fewer than 15 inflamed bumps, or fewer than 30 total lesions. Mild acne is usually treated with over-the-counter topical medicine. It may take up to eight weeks to see a significant improvement.
If you have 20 to 100 whiteheads or blackheads, 15 to 50 inflamed bumps, or 30 to 125 total lesions, your acne is considered moderate. Dermatologists usually recommend prescription medication for moderate to severe acne. It may take several weeks to notice an improvement, and your acne may appear to get worse before it gets better.
Severe (Cystic) Acne
People with severe cystic acne have multiple inflamed cysts and nodules. The acne may turn deep red or purple. It often leaves scars. Prompt treatment by a dermatologist can minimize scarring.
Will usually respond very well to our Aspect Dr skin care which is available without a prescription. We recommend the Aspect Dr Problem Skin Kit plus Multi B serum. The active ingredients in this kit regulate oil production, speeds up the shedding of skin cells, destroys the P. acnes bacteria and reduces inflammation.
Mild to Moderate Acne
One of our Doctors will usually recommend a combination of prescription gel and Dimalux LED Therapy. The gel contains an antibiotic to target the P.acnes bacteria and Benzyl Peroxide to exfoliate and reduce congestion. While very popular as a stand-alone acne treatment, we have found that the gel is even more effective when combined with a course of Dimalux LED Therapy. We will often prescribe therapy which alters the hormonal background leading to acne. A number of choices are available in consultation with our doctors.
Dimalux LED Therapy
Consists of both a blue and a red light treatment. The blue light targets and destroys skin bacteria, while the red red light acts as a powerful anti-inflammatory reducing redness, cyst formation and scar potential, and stimulates healing and collagen production. We recommend two 20 minute sessions per week (one blue light, one red light) for 4 weeks.
For Severe Acne
Where the risk of scarring is considered to be high, our Doctors may recommend referral to a Dermatologist for high-strength oral retinoid therapy.
What else can help acne?
For a wholistic approach to acne our Doctors also recommend:
- Daily Fish Oil Supplements;
- The use of a good sunscreen that doesn’t block pores (many acne preparations make you more sun sensitive); and
- Mineral makeup, which does not harbour bacteria or block pores.
- Low GI diet – see below for more information
A recent groundbreaking study has established that diet has a significant impact on acne. Here’s the Anti Acne Diet in a nutshell:
- Eat lean red meat 3-4 times and fish twice a week (and red meat for lunch daily);
- Choose low GI carbs: wholegrain breads, high-fibre cereals, past and legumes;
- Aim for 3 serves of fruit and 5 serves of (low GI) vegetables a day;
- Avoid sugary foods and drinks and limit takeaway, white bread, cakes and biscuits.